Low Pay Leads to Teacher Strikes in Denver

Courtney Mincolelli, Staff Writer

Teachers in Denver are planning a strike on Monday, February 11th near the Statehouse and Denver’s City Hall. After months of discussion between the Denver Classroom Teachers Association and teachers regarding higher salaries, the talk has had no resolution. Thousands of teachers are estimated to be a part of the strike, and schools are preparing for it by adding new substitutes and administrators. Yet, preschools will be closed, leaving 5,000 students at home and posing an issue, as they are unsure how long the strike will last.

Michael CiagloDENVER, CO – JANUARY 11: Eagleton Elementary School first grade teacher Valerie Lovato, left, and East High School French teacher Tiffany Choi hold up signs as the Denver Classroom Teachers Association and Denver Public Schools district continue to negotiate over a bonus and incentive system called ProComp at the DPS Extended Learning and Community Schools building Friday, Jan. 11, 2019 in Denver, Colorado. If the teachers and the district don’t come to an agreement by January 18, teachers could strike for the first time since 1994. (Photo by Michael Ciaglo/Special to the Denver Post) 

In an attempt to resolve the issue, Denver administration created bonuses for certain teachers, but the teachers banded together, demanding higher pay for all. One teacher in Denver, who earns $43,255 a year, wants it to be raised to $45,800. During the strike, teachers will not be paid, causing concern for many. Katie McOwen, a sixth-grade math teacher at Place Bridge Academy states, “I really am living paycheck to paycheck right now”. McOwen makes around $50,000 a year but has to pay rent, student loans payments, bills, and other important expenses, with no current resolution for higher salaries, McOwen, and many other teachers are worried and concerned for their futures.