The Mock Trial Team is Headed to the Quarter Finals

Anusha Mathias, Editor-in-Chief

Whippany Park High School’s Mock Trial team has had a week of major successes. Mock Trial is a competition in which students are given either a civil or criminal case they must develop and argue in court. Each side has a total of three witnesses and two lawyers. The team creates a case for both the defendant and the plaintiff/prosecution. The trials are held in the Morris County Courthouse just like you see in Law and Order. This year the Mock Trial team case is a civil case which means no crime has been committed. This case, Mansion vs. Captain Kidd’s Pier, involves a teenager named Avery Mansion who is suing an amusement park, Captain Kidd’s Pier, claiming she has suffered serious injuries on a roller coaster. Keshav Agiwal and Andrew Griffin are lawyers representing the plaintiff, Avery Mansion, while Hannah Lee and Daniel Hu represent the defendant, Captain Kidd’s Pier. Witness roles are filled by Maggie Vaccaro, Emily Struble, Emma Mantone, Justin Chin, Julie White, Avina Mathias, and Anusha Mathias. The plaintiff side gave the team its first victory on Monday, January 14th, 2019 and the defense side took the team to the quarterfinals on Wednesday, January 16th, 2019. Congratulations to the Mock Trial team and good luck at the quarterfinals!