Love It or Leave It: October

Sunnina Chen, Staff Writer

This past month, autumn took over by storm as the temperature dropped and leaves started to fall. To match the colder weather, students have started to wear warmer clothes.

One of the most popular items that has been seen is the Sherpa jacket. These jackets can also be described as shearling, borg, or, most commonly, “teddy”. The fabric is given the nickname because of its fuzzy and plush feel and the style is similar to a bomber jacket. These zip-ups range from $20 to $148, and can usually be found in a baby pink, beige, tan, or army green color. It is sold from popular teen brands such as Garage, Brandy Melville, and Urban Outfitters.

Naming it the “poopy jacket”, YouTuber Emma Chamberlain greatly influenced the popularity of the product. Her controversial clothing brand, now called High Key, also sells the teddy-style jacket. She has an online fan base of 5 million on YouTube and Instagram. Kendall and Kylie Jenner’s clothing brand (sold by PacSun) also has a version. Celebrities such as Bella Hadid and Ariana Grande have been spotted in the cozy attire.

“I’ve seen at least three people wear it,” states Alyssa Yin, a freshman at Whippany Park. Although it may not seem like much, she was talking about only one day.

This jacket seems like a fad. Popular for this year, but not the next. Think: shoulder pads, circa 1985. But who knows, the ‘80s are making a comeback.

What’s your take?

Honorable Mentions:

1. Mom jeans
  2. Corduroy
  3. Checkered vans